Music Licenses

It came to notice recently that a number of dance teachers are still unaware that they require both PRS (Performing Rights Society) and PPL (Phonographic Performance Limited) LICENSES to play music for their dance lessons/classes and social dances.

If you do not have a license or are unsure if you hold the current license, more information is available from:

PRS: Copyright House, 29-33 Berners Street, London, W1P 3DB. Tel: 0207 580 5544. Freephone: 0800 068 4828. Email:

PPL: 1 Upper James Street, London, W1 9DE. Tel: 0207 534 1000. Fax: 0207 534 1111. Email:

For new teachers who might not be aware, PRS collects royalties on behalf of the composers, lyricists and publishers of music, whilst PPL collect royalties on behalf of the record companies and performers.

If you copy tracks from CD’s to use in your classes/social events and play through your computer, you are also required to obtain the Digital DJ License, PPL LICENSES the person with a ‘Dance Teacher’ license and file PRS LICENSES the premises with a ‘Dance School’ license. Care should be taken when renting premises as some halls only hold a background music license, which is a much lower fee than a full PRS music license. PRS state that although they issue a license to the premises, they hold the organiser of any event responsible should the correct license not be held. Practice sessions and social dances are more expensive than classes. PRS reserve the right to inspect the audited takings of anyone holding a license.